The Village of Hommlet is one of my all time favorite. The was the only module I took the time to convert fully into GURPS. I liked however every inhabitant was listed in the module. One thing I did in my conversion was add a little plot to the town itself.
The construction workers are having issues with the regular villagers who view them as "outsiders" who cause trouble. The construction workers live in a temporary settlement of mud and wattle huts near the castle.
Tension is mounting as the workers attempted to erect a tent to serve as a pub. The resulting protest from Ostler Gundigoot forced the Brewer not to sell any more kegs of beer and ale to the workers. One of the workers is currently in jail because he tried to steal a keg from the Brewer. Much of this is inflamed by the two Traders who are secretly evil agents.
Typically the way the events unfold when I run this are as follows
- The PC comes into Hommlet gets a room at the Welcome Wench
- That night a rock is thrown into their room shattering the window.
- The PC track down the kid and find out about the problem between the two groups
- They get interested and start talking to everyone to find out what really going on.
- They start seeing that the two Traders are way more involved than they should be and investigate them. Usually by breaking into their establishment.
- The workers for a mob intent on liberating the jailed worker
- Evidence in hand the PC expose the trader and help forge a compromise between the two sides.
- They interrogate the Traders finding out about the moathouse.
- Goto the moathouse and clear it out.