Saturday, May 2, 2009

From the Attic: Viridstan

The last hand drawn map I was working on was a redraw of Viridstan. I worked on it briefly in the early 90's then never picked it up again. In a reply to one of Grognardia post I comment about it here.

Later I realized I didn't know where it was! I knew it wasn't in my map bin


Cunningly adapted from a regular trash bin.

I knew it wasn't deep storage with my RPG stuff in my garage or the game room up in the apartment above the garage.

I owned my house before I got married and we live here still. I remember what now my bedroom was where I had a light table that I used for drawing maps. I checked the closet and sure enough it was in within a bunch of Kelly Anne's (my wife) paintings that was stored.


(click for a larger image)

I had a lot more done than I thought. What you see here is the map just before I start doing the detail work. Not only I had the original but there was a full size photocopy of the 22" by 17" map. I keep each stage so I can correct mistake and do stuff like player map. If I had actually finished it I would have reduced the above to a 8.5 by 11 and handed it out as a player map.

A copy of the detail phase would have been my black and white GM map where all my keys and notes are kept. After detailing would have been coloring which is the last phase.

Now I scanned it in and I have the original laminated. I can resume work on it using my computer.

2 comments:

leadjunkie said...

That's very cool Robert. Your mapping skills are enviable. I hope to see the finished project.

Unknown said...

Yes! I can't wait to see the finished version.