Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Pillars of the Earth

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett has always been one of my favorite historical fiction about the Middle Ages. Set during the Anarchy of King Stephen of England Reign it tells the story of Prior Phillip, Jack Jackson, Aliena, and others centered around the building of a new cathedral as Kingsbridge.

Now it has been made into a mini-series and if you have Netflix or Starz you can view it. I watch the first Episode, and it tracks the story pretty close and the costuming seems spot on for that period of Medieval history. If it has a fault it feels a bit rushed as they omitted some of the initial setup. I suppose they are choosing to focus more on the middle and ending the book.

They filmed it pretty straight. It is not as stylized like Spartacus: Blood and Sand. I will let you know how future episodes go.

8 comments:

Anthony N. Emmel said...

Well, the nobles seem to have to wear breastplates still, but otherwise, you're right about the costuming. Seeing Maud in armor was priceless (as she did take the field).

Havard: said...

I need to get ahold of this. I am a big fan of Ken Follet's historical novels.

Anonymous said...

I read this novel and its sequel World Without End several months back and thoroughly enjoyed them both. I look forward to seeing the series.

Akiyama said...

My book group read this a few months ago and we all liked it (a rare event). While reading it, I couldn't help mentally assigning D&D alignments to all the main characters.

I see Channel 4 has picked up the UK rights.

Anonymous said...

This is a US series you're talking about??? Count me out then, I'll wait for the British Channel 4 version. No offence, but nothing makes me cringe more than watching an historical programme set in the UK and when the actors open their mouths, an American accent comes out - it's just not right. :-)

Robert Conley said...

From what I understand it would sound more like a bunch of Appalachian Hillbillies than the Received pronunciation of English.

However I do understand your point.

Akiyama said...

To be clear, Channel 4 is not going to be remaking the series.

I believe it is a Canadian and German co-production, with many British actors.

Anonymous said...

Ahh thanks Akiyama, I see what you mean - bought the rights to show it. Hmmm, a mixture of British and American actors, sounds like Peter Jackson's LotR all over again, though he even threw in a few of us Aussies, as well as some Kiwis too. What a cacophony of accents. :-)